This class is a cornerstone to my approach to herbalism, and I highly recommend it to people who have taken the Intro class and are seeking more. Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine and Western Herbalism all use constitutional types to explain patterns of disease. For example, some people are susceptible to heat (irritation, overstimulation), others to cold (lack of function). Knowing types can instruct your health regimen and what herbs are best for you. This is a hot topic for those interested in holistic health!
This class will focus on the western four element system (originally established by early greek physicians like Hippocrates), with some Chinese medicine concepts introduced where the western system falls short.
In this two-hour class, we'll learn:
- The four qualities (hot, cold, damp, dry) and how they show up in the body
- The four elements and how they pertain to constitutional types and body function
- The paradox of opposites- why we don't fit in one box only.
- Personality traits and how they fit in
- herbal flavors and actions and how to select herbs based on constitution
We'll take a few simple tests to determine which constitution you are in both systems. Come with a notebook and your curiosity!
DATE AND TIME: Tuesday, December 17th, 2019, 7-9pm
LOCATION: Madrona House Apothecary , 1423 34th ave, Unit C, Seattle 98122
MAX: 16 people
TEACHER: Natalie H.